Following on from previous posts, here and here, Paul Tripp gives a series of principles to help examine the motivations of our hearts here. How can we determine whether we’re laying up treasures for God’s kingdom or for self?
Tripp gives the questions below as a helpful diagnostic.
- The absence of what causes us to want to give up and quit?
- The pursuit of what leads us to feeling over-burdened and overwhelmed?
- The fear of what makes us tentative and timid rather than courageous and hopeful?
- The craving for what makes us burn the candle at both ends until we have little left?
- The “need” for what robs ministry of its beauty and joy?
- The desire for what sets up tensions between ministry and family?